Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To start at the start

When we told my older daughter we would be homeschooling next year she said that since I was her teacher we wouldn't have to take the summer off I don't intend to do serious homeschool this summer.  However I am going to test the girls to know where we are starting from.  I ordered the CAT from Seaton.  www.seatontesting.com  Why the CAT?  Well, it is a nationally normed standardized test as required by my state.  It is inexpensive, easy to administer, and Seaton offers timely grading. I ordered the k for my daughter entering k and the 2nd and 3rd test for my daughter entering 3rd.  Our neighborhood school did not give any end of year testing and the report card was not very descriptive.  When we received the first marking period card we were told that the students would largely have marks of unsatisfactory.  They were not going to actually check the students and see if they could do the required items.  They were going to hand out unsatisfactory because the year had just started.  Then by the end of the year the students would be achieving at grade level and on the final report card the marks should be satisfactory.  WHAT!  That shows improvement when it is possible no actual improvement had been made.  What if the student could already accomplish the required items at grade level?  It was so frustrating.  Therefore I want to give her a second grade test to see how that really went and the third grade test so we know where to start. What tests do other families use?

No comments:

Post a Comment